The GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies / Leibniz-Institut für Globale und Regionale Studien is an independent social-science research institute based in Hamburg. It analyses political, social and economic developments in Africa, Asia, Latin America and the Middle East, linking this knowledge to questions of global significance. It combines region-specific analysis with innovative comparative research on accountability and participation, growth and development, peace and security, power and ideas. The GIGA seeks to appoint a
to work under the lead of Dr. Luicy Pedroza on the research project “Every Immigrant is an Emigrant: Paths of Migration Policy across Countries” funded by the Leibniz Association. Applications are invited for a part-time position (65%), with a 3-year contract, starting 1 May 2017. The salary is commensurate with TV-AVH / TVöD EG 13. The GIGA strongly encourages concurrent work on a doctoral degree in line with the candidate’s work in the project.
The research project will look into how policies define the chances of migrants to be integral parts of their countries of origin and destination. It will study migration policy across American, Asian and European cases, using complementary strengths of various methods of analysis. In the first phase, available datasets on policies that define different stages of migration across countries will be gathered and analysed quantitatively; in a second phase, this will be complemented by in-depth case studies using qualitative methods, including multi-sited research and interviews with policy-makers.
The successful candidate will
- Work in a small research team through different project stages from conceptual development, methodological decisions, data collection, data analysis and writing of papers
- Be an active member of the GIGA, affiliated to one of its Regional Institutes and at least one Research Programme. Main place of work will be at the GIGA Berlin Office.
- Outstanding academic track record and excellent marks
- A completed MA/M.Sc. degree in social sciences or current enrolment in a PhD programme on political science or related fields
- Expertise on Asian cases, particularly, South-East Asia and corresponding language skills
- Experience in migration studies with multi-disciplinary approaches will be highly valued
- Excellent skills in the use and development of quantitative and qualitative methodologies and willingness to learn and experiment with different research methods
- A contributing, committed and responsible approach to high-quality team-work
- Self-reliance regarding balancing of team and individual research goals
- Readiness to conduct field research
Other than the proposed 65% position, different part-time options may be considered, if so desired by the successful candidate. The reconciliation of work and family life is of great importance to the institute. The GIGA promotes gender equality and actively encourages applications from women. Among equally qualified applicants, women will receive preferential consideration in those areas in which they are underrepresented.
Please fill out the GIGA application form (found at www.giga-hamburg.de/en/vacancies) and send it with your full application (Ref.-No. GIGA-17-02) including relevant supporting documentation (motivation letter, CV including list of language skills, list of publications, a statement on research methods skills and their application so far, diplomas/certificates, two letters of recommendation, max. two work samples – e.g. Master’s thesis, term papers or published works) to:
Stephanie Stövesand, GIGA German Institute of Global and Area Studies,
Neuer Jungfernstieg 21, 20354 Hamburg, Germany
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (email applications are particularly welcome).
Screening of applications will begin on 23 February 2017.