CALL FOR PAPERS
CALL FOR PAPERS
For the 2017 International Conference of ISEAS/BUFS
Locating Cultural Characteristics of Southeast Asia as a Whole
The cultural characteristics of Southeast Asia have been chiefly described as “diversity”. It is mainly due to the fact that Southeast Asians have separately been engaged and exposed to various outer civilizations in the course of history. However, Southeast Asia as a region shares the same grid of cultural foundation upon which foreign cultural elements took their roots. As a result, we may find articulations of “uniqueness”, “connectedness”, and “hybridity” in the regional characteristics of Southeast Asia.
Since 2009, the ISEAS/BUFS has been conducted a 10 years research project sponsored by the National Research Foundation of Korea. The agenda of the research project is “The Recognition and Construction of Southeast Asia as a Holon: Building Southeast Asian Studies on Compounding Area Studies and Cultural Studies”. The concept of “culture” here covers not only art and but also the general intellectual transmission that influenced politics, economy, and society.
We have entered into the third phase of the research project (September 2015 – August 2019). The main research topic of the phase is “Revisiting and Reconstructing Southeast Asian Characteristics and Methodological Quests for Southeast Asian Studies”.
The 2017 International Conference of ISEAS/BUFS invites scholars who are interested in the research theme “Locating Cultural Characteristics of Southeast Asian as a Whole”. Papers may be written on a broad range of humanities and social sciences. Papers on the following sub-themes are particularly welcomed:
■ Submission of Abstracts/Paper and Journal Publication
1) The one-page abstract should contain the basic arguments of the final paper.
2) The final paper should be written in English, 5,000 to 10,000 words in length, and must conform with the Text and Manuscript Guidelines of SUVANNABHUMI: Multidisciplinary Journal of Southeast Asian Studies (http://suvannabhumi.iseas.kr)
3) Submissions should be sent via email to email@example.com
4) Schedule for Abstract/Paper
5) After the Conference, presented papers are expected to be improved and/or revised by the authors for submission to SUVANNABHUMI: Multidisciplinary Journal of Southeast Asian Studies, for consideration of publication. The articles will undergo a peer-reviewed process.
■ Privileges for the Conference Participants
1) Individual Participants (including participants proposing a panel):
2) Panel Participants sponsored by other institutions
■ Contact to:
Dong-Yeob KIM, Ph.D.