Lund University, Centre for East and South-East Asian Studies
Lund University was founded in 1666 and for a number of years has been ranked among the world’s top 100 universities. The University has 41 000 students and 6 900 staff based in Lund, Helsingborg and Malmö. We are united in our efforts to understand, explain and improve our world and the human condition.
More information about the Centre is available on the Centre’s web site: http://www.ace.lu.se
The post comprises teaching and research concerning modern South-East Asia, as well as a certain amount of teaching regarding East and South-East Asia in general. The post consists of fifty percent research and fifty percent teaching, including administrative duties. The successful candidate shall undertake research that results in international publications. The successful candidate shall teach and is expected to be able to take responsibility for the development and administration of teaching programmes and courses. The post includes the organization of research activities, such as workshops and conferences, as well as outreach activities. Additionally, the successful candidate is expected to strengthen contacts and cooperation between the Centre for East and South-East Asian Studies and other institutions at Lund University, at other Swedish universities, and universities in other countries, principally those located in East and South-East Asia.
To qualify for appointment as an associate senior lecturer, applicants must have been awarded a PhD or have the corresponding research competence. Priority should be given to those who have been awarded a PhD or achieved the corresponding research competence within seven years prior to the deadline for applications.
- A PhD or corresponding foreign exam focusing upon a topic within the social sciences or a corresponding field related to one or modern countries in modern South-East Asia, or to South-East Asia in general
- Documented pedagogical skills
- Good knowledge of both written and spoken English
As the position is meant to offer an opportunity for the holder to qualify for higher positions in her/his career, applicants who have completed their PhD within the past seven years will be given priority.
The criteria for assessment of applications are a good ability to develop and carry out research of high quality, together with good teaching skills. The ability to interact with society and inform others about their research and about societal developments in South-East Asia is also taken into account. A research profile that is connected with one of the Centre’s research areas is particularly desirable. Documented pedagogical skills in teaching about modern South-East Asia at the undergraduate and/or graduate level, as well as documented experience of interdisciplinary teaching are particularly desirable. Experience of course planning, examination and tutoring are other desirable qualifications. Teaching takes place in English, but certain administrative tasks require knowledge of the Swedish language. The Centre therefore expects non-Scandinavian speakers to be able quickly to learn Swedish to a high level of fluency.
Experience of activities related to research such as the organisation of workshops and conferences is another desirable qualification. Documented good collaborative skills, and experience and/or interest in conducting joint research projects are other desirable qualifications. Experience of residence at and/or international cooperation with universities in East and South-East Asia will also be taken into account. Good knowledge of a South-East Asian language will be taken into account.
An associated senior lecturer shall be promoted, on application, to an indefinite-term post as a senior lecturer if she/he is qualified for the post and is evaluated to be suitable in an assessment of the application in accordance with the eligibility and assessment criteria for promotion that are set up by the Faculty of Social Sciences and which are listed in the announcement/requirement profile. An associate senior lecturer may only apply for promotion once. The application shall be submitted to the Faculty of Social Sciences within three and a half years of the start of the candidate’s employment.
The general assessment criterion is that the applicant must demonstrate a strong progression in her/his ability to conduct teaching and research. Other requirements for promotion are that the applicant can demonstrate:
- Well-documented research competence that is of significance to the subject and duties of the post. This includes well-documented national and international standing as a researcher. A documented ability to publish internationally will be given special weight.
- Well-documented teaching competence. Particular weight will be given to documented skills in conducting teaching and supervision at different levels and that quality and breadth of teaching competence has developed over time.
- At least five weeks of training in higher education teaching and learning.
- Progression in academic leadership through an enhanced ability to develop, lead and implement education and research and/or demonstrated leadership/commitment to duties at the Centre.
- Documented ability to write applications for external research funding.
- Good ability to interact with society and inform others about research and developmental work.
- Where appropriate, sufficient proficiency in Swedish to be able to be responsible for certain administrative duties.
- Other personal qualities of importance — especially ability to cooperate.
The purpose of a position as associated senior lecturer is that the holder develops her/his independency as a researcher and teacher. The employment is temporary, set at a maximum of four years, according to the Swedish collective agreement: Lokalt kollektivavtal om meriteringsanställning — biträdande universitetslektor between Lund University, SACO-S, OFR/S and SEKO, dated 2013-06-26.
Please use the link at the bottom of the announcement to apply for the post.
The application should be written in English and follow the instructions for applications for academic posts at the Faculty of Social Sciences, see:
In addition to the documents mentioned in the application instructions, candidates shall submit a research plan for the post (maximum four pages in length).
Lund University welcomes applicants with diverse backgrounds and experiences. We regard gender equality and diversity as a strength and an asset. We welcome you to submit an application!